- July 13, 2018
- Posted by: Carwyn Jones AM
- Category: Latest News
An exhibition commemorating one of the worst sea disasters off the Welsh coastline has opened in Bridgend. In 1947, the eight-strong crew of the Mumbles RNLI lifeboat, Edward Prince of Wales, and the 39 crewmen of the SS Samtampa lost their lives off Porthcawl. The exhibition has opened at the Princess of Wales Hospital, 71 years after the tragedy. As Patron of this very special exhibition, Bridgend AM Carwyn Jones opened the exhibition in the hospital atrium.
Mr Jones said “It was lovely to see this special exhibition again– this time at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend. Last year, I was delighted to sponsor the exhibition at the National Assembly for Wales to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the disaster. I would like to pay tribute to Gary, Jean and others at Porthcawl Shout for all their hard work to ensure that future generations will never forget the awful events that unfolded on the 23rd April 1947. As people leave us it becomes more important that there are exhibitions such as this that continue to inform people about events from Porthcawl’s maritime past.
Gary Victor of the Porthcawl Shout Forum said “We are indebted to all the emergency service guests and political representatives who came to the exhibition, some from as far as Aberystwyth. Their awareness will help keep this memorable piece of our sea heritage alive for future generations.”
Princess of Wales Director, Jamie Marchant said: “This exhibition is here to raise public awareness of the disaster that happened just a few miles from this hospital. This is a really important part of our coastal heritage and we as a health board are very pleased to be a part of this exhibition. The display will be up in our main hospital entrance for a number of weeks to enable staff and members of the public who use our services to read and understand more about that tragic day.”