- September 24, 2018
- Posted by: Carwyn Jones AM
- Category: Latest News
Courtesy of Wales’ very own rising star Charlotte Vaughan, a little west end magic was sprinkled at the Welsh Assembly last week. After hearing the soprano and actress sing at a local concert hosted by Bridgend Male Choir last year, Bridgend AM Carwyn Jones invited Ms Vaughan to perform a lunchtime concert at the Welsh Assembly.
Charlotte Vaughan has been building up a successful portfolio performing in London and across the UK. Some of the roles she has played to date include Alice in Closer, Fosca in Passion, Sarah Jane Moore in Assassins and Nettie in Carousel. She has also had the opportunity to play the role of Carlotta in ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ at Her Majesty’s Theatre’ in London.
During the concert in the Pierhead Building, Ms Vaughan sang a number of songs and talked about her journey from performing in local concerts and her time in Bridgend Youth Theatre through to starring in leading roles at the West End.
The audience were treated to:
• Feed the Birds- Mary Poppins
• Somewhere- West Side Story, Bernstein
• Pan Ddaw’r Nos- Meirion Williams
• Je Veux Vivre- Gounod, Romeo et Juliette
• Little bit in Love- Wonderful Town, Bernstein
• You’ll Never Walk Alone- Carousel, Rogers & Hammerstein
• Glitter and Be Gay- Candide, Bernstein
• Wishing – Phantom of the Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber
• Rhywle Draw Dros yr Enfys – The Wizard of Oz
Mr Jones said “Charlotte has a beautiful voice. Her vocal range is incredible. What an amazing talent. I thoroughly enjoyed her performance and did not want it to end. There was something for everyone in the performance with songs from well- known musicals through to opera.
“She is certainly an inspiration for young musicians of the future and I wish her every success in her future endeavours.”